Sunday, May 9, 2010

My New Crush + Buttermilk Scones

Happy Mother's Day to all those gorgeous Aussie Mummies out there! Today was my 1st Mother's Day with my baby boy and it was such a wonderful day, I feel incredibly blessed to be lucky enough to have a child, let alone my beautiful boy! Bonus? My new almond cream KitchenAid Stand Mixer, love at first sight!

Needless to say, I had to try something in it...anything!! Hence the Buttermilk Scones.

2 cups self raising flour
1 tablespoon caster sugar
pinch of salt
60g chilled butter, chopped
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 200 degrees (personally I believe 180 degrees would have been sufficient) and line a tray with baking paper.
Sift flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and add butter. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Make a well in centre of mixture. Add buttermilk and using a flat-bladed knife, stir until a sticky dough forms. (alternatively - use speed 2 on KitchenAid mixer until dough forms)
Using a lightly floured rolling pin, gently roll dough out until 2cm thick. Using a 6cm round cutter, cut out scones. Repeat process until dough used up.
Place scones on prepared tray and brush with buttermilk and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Serve with jam and cream.

Result - Not bad but not great, like I mentioned during preheating the oven, I believe the recipe should have had a lower temperature as the scones browned very quickly but weren't cooked enough inside when first checked. Good enough to fill in 30 minutes so I could use my new present!





Source - Claire Brookman, Super Food Ideas, June 2009 (care of www.taste.com.au)

No comments:

Post a Comment