Saturday, May 8, 2010

Date and Walnut Loaf

Technically this recipe is called "Date and Walnut Rolls" but I refuse to pay $36 for 2 round upright tins in order to make the recipe so I used my loaf tin and it worked perfectly and I can spend the money on something else!





60g butter, chopped
1 cup boiling water
1 cup finely chopped seeded dried dates
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 egg, beaten lightly

Preheat oven to 180 degrees/160 degrees fan-forced. Grease and line the loaf tin with baking paper, I use a tin measuring 11cm x 21cm.
Combine butter and water in a saucepan over medium heat, stir until butter melts.
Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in dates and soda, then sugar, sifted flour, nuts and egg.
Spoon mixture into tin and bake for approximately 50 minutes and test with a skewer to ensure it's cooked.
Stand the loaf for 5 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.

Result - Such an easy recipe to make, I baked it the other morning while my baby boy played in between his breakfast & nap time! It's very yummy, especially with some butter as an afternoon snack. Just ensure not to overcook so the loaf doesn't get dry, it's lovely and moist if it's pulled out at the right time.

Source - Women's Weekly Classic Cakes, Page 129

No comments:

Post a Comment